Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mango Pudding, the n-th version

Posted by Quinn at Wednesday, January 12, 2011


I know I am a freak. A freak for everything wobbly and sturdy. I love mango pudding with a passion. I love it so much I could not describe to you how much but to need to have you to see it for yourself say here, here, here and maybe here too.

I made this along with the Christmas Stained Glass Jello and the Best Chocolate Sheet Cake. Ever for the Christmas Eve party too! I know, a lot of jello and pudding but they are yummy and melts in the mouth. I love them!

This is adapted from WorldFoodieGuide (made with Method B, the so-called relatively more complicated method). It tasted great and texture wise, wobbly enough for my liking but properly set. It uses raw egg and instant mango jelly powder in place of gelatine and is very similar to my previous cheat's mango pudding. With a recipe provided from someone from Hong Kong, I had a hard time resisting trying it. Not sure about elsewhere, but here in Australia, when we say Yum Cha (directly translated from Cantonese to English as 'Drink Tea'), we really meant going to a Dim Sum place (usually owned by someone from Hong Kong) and have dim sum and mango pudding is always a must order item.

It was great but the only downside is it is too sweet for my liking. I am guessing it is the sugar content in the instant mango jelly powder that varied it. I have to macerate mango cubes with lime juice and top it off to balance the sweetness. It is finished but would have been amazing if it is less sweet.


Mango Pudding
(adapted and lightly modifiedfrom WorldFoodieGuide)

A box of mango flavoured jello(90g per pack) (I've used Aeroplane Jelly Brand)
160g sweetened condensed milk (I would use 120g next time to begin with and taste along)
1 large ripe *mango, diced smallish
1 cup boiling water
3/4 cup fresh milk
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup crushed ice (cold water is fine)

Dissolve the pack of jelly powder with the 1 cup of boiling water. Add in the crushed ice and stir to dissolve and set aside to cool completely.

Add the sweetened condensed milk and the fresh milk to the cooled jelly mixture and combine well. Then add the beaten egg and *mango cubes.

Stir everything to combine thoroughly and pour it into little cups. Chill it overnight for best result or for at least a couple of hours. Serve chilled.

* You can puree half the mango cubes and add it into the jelly along with the milks or just add them into the jelly mixture as it is. I used the mango cubes to top the jelly instead.


Yum! Make some now!

Stumble Upon Toolbar

13 comments on "Mango Pudding, the n-th version"

tracieMoo on January 12, 2011 at 5:18 PM said...

rawrrrrr mango puddinggg! I remember I'd pester my mum for this when I was young whenever I have dimsum and all I get is a 'no'. LOL
Sounds very refreshing though. Are you back in Malaysia?
I'm going back to qld, it's just my summer break now. I know, the flood is massive..

Kitchen Corner on January 12, 2011 at 5:52 PM said...

That's such a refreshing dessert!!

Shirley @ Kokken69 on January 12, 2011 at 6:36 PM said...

I applaud you for doing this so many times. Many of us don't repeat often enough to improvise and take the dish to a higher level.






Dr.Sameena Prathap
on January 12, 2011 at 7:28 PM said...

wow...amzing pudding...Love your version...yumm yumm...:)

Dr.Sameena@

http://www.myeasytocookrecipes.blogspot.com/

MaryMoh on January 12, 2011 at 8:53 PM said...

You and my daughter can make a great pair. She just loves mangoes. She will eat up everything that you made here :D

edith on January 12, 2011 at 9:57 PM said...

Wow it has been ages ago I had mango pudding. Now I need for it to be in season before making one. Thanks for reminding.

Megan B. on January 13, 2011 at 5:23 PM said...

I Love this, cant wait to try it. Your blog is so inspiring. Thanks

Zurin on January 13, 2011 at 7:07 PM said...

i have never tried mango pudding. you make me want to and i just mite. The durian choc tiramisu looks to die for too!

Angela on January 27, 2011 at 1:12 PM said...

Looks lovely! I can't get mango jello here, but I think I could use peach.

pigpigscorner on January 28, 2011 at 7:39 AM said...

Who doesn't love mango pudding?!!!

Jess @ Bakericious on February 2, 2011 at 5:51 PM said...

Quinn Wish you and your family a Happy Lunar New Year, Gong Xi Fa Cai!

Vivian - vxdollface on September 25, 2011 at 1:48 PM said...

can't believe it's so easy to make! i always order mango pudding whenever i go to yumcha!

ChampsElysée on November 9, 2011 at 4:51 PM said...

My excuse to badger my mum for the kitchen. I LOVE this recipe! (and I haven't even tried it...)

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 

Quinn's Baking Diary Copyright 2009 Sweet Cupcake Designed by Ipiet Templates Image by Tadpole's Notez